Looking to up your health and fitness game but lacking time and motivation? We understand. Running is not for everyone and going to the gym involves a lot of time and money. We always heard that an exercise ball is great for all types of benefits, from improving posture and core strength to balance and even labor prep exercises during pregnancy.
We tried a few and truly had a ball. Even if you already have a great exercise regimen, consider adding this cool, handy and physiotherapeutic gadget, as it offers all sorts of extra exercise advantages.
Check out these four exercise ball options and get rolling on your road to better health!
What Is an Exercise Ball?
Basically, an exercise ball is a big but very lightweight ball, measuring anywhere from 14 inches to 36 inches. It is used for both fitness and therapeutic exercises. It’s made of soft elastic and is filled with air. Sometimes it is referred to as a Swiss, Stability or Physio Ball. It strengthens the muscles of the pelvis, abdomen and low back.
How Do I Choose an Exercise Ball?
Choose by Height
To use a stability ball safely, it must be the right size for your height. Balls are measured in centimeters, and some brands color-code their balls to identify and show their size, such as TheraBand. Please be aware that you don’t select a ball based on your body weight but based on your height, and pick a ball accordingly.
Anti-Burst Rating and Weight
Ball Balls with an anti-burst rating of 500kg or more are ideal. Older folks or people with injuries, difficulty balancing or extra body weight might find a slightly larger ball more comfortable.
What about Safety?
Exercise balls can burst or puncture, so balls with the technology that permits them to deflate slowly are best
Benefits of an Exercise Ball
Exercise balls vary in price but are generally not that expensive, hovering around circa $. Larger balls for taller people are, unfortunately, more expensive.
Four Exercise Ball Options to Consider
We picked a few similar products available on the market to see how they compare.
TheraBand Exercise and Stability Ball
DYNAPRO Exercise Ball
HemingWeigh Exercise Stability Ball
Pavandeep Fitness Ball
Looking for a ball regimen that can do several things, from assisting in recovery and rehabilitation but also improves muscle strength muscles, correct posture, address back pain, and much more? This ball from the makers of the popular and effective TheraBands can withstand up to 1,000 pounds and offers enforced stability at the points of body contact for additional comfort.
It arrives with two plugs and an inflation adapter and is available in four sizes/colors to accommodate people’s body height variations from 4 feet 7 inches to 6 feet 8 inches tall (45cm Yellow/55cm Red/65cm Green/75cm Blue). You also get a TheraBand Exercise Ball Guide Poster showing 24 different exercises you can do. It’s easy to clean.
Design Quality: 4.5 Stars
TheraBand Exercise Balls are designed for strength and balance training. They come with two plugs and an inflation adapter, plus a poster showing 24 exercises.
Value for the Price: 3.5 Stars
It’s a great product, but all the other balls come with a pump. With this one, you have to purchase one separately, which can significantly add to the cost and detracts from the overall value, in our opinion.
No warranty listed.
- VOTED #1 BEST EXERCISE BALL- 2019 BY BUSINESS INSIDER, WIKI EZVID, AND BEST WOMENS WORKOUTS: Get a quick start on optimizing your health -- every box we ship contains an Exercise Ball that inflates using the hand pump that goes with it. Within minutes, you can use it as a stability ball in any kind of fitness training such as yoga or Pilates, or as a desk chair to correct your posture and support your back when you work.
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI-BURST RATING CAN MATCH ANY HEAVYWEIGHT: Our Exercise Ball is manufactured using gym quality standards. When used properly, it can carry the stress of heavy loads up to 2000 lbs without popping to prevent you from being injured. Excess loads above this weight will cause the ball to deflate slowly to ensure your safety.
- THICK PVC CASING PROVIDES OPTIMUM PUNCTURE RESISTANCE: Packed with non-toxic PVC material, our stability balls have a thickness of 1,877 micrometers which delivers a greater degree of resistance to sharp objects on the floor or on your clothing that may come in contact with the ball.
- NON-SLIP RIBBED BODY STAYS PUT WITH SKIN CONTACT: The PVC body has a matte surface with horizontal ribs contoured all around it -- making it easy to hold without slipping while tossing, bouncing or squeezing the ball even with profuse sweat.
- FOUR SIZE OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMFORT AND SAFETY: 45cm, 55cm, 65cm, 75cm Not sure which is the right size for you? Our size guide helps you determine which size Exercise Ball best matches your intended use based on your body height if used for exercise, and the desk height if used as a chair.
This exercise ball caught our attention because its makers say you can train like a pro! This means that they engineered the ball for serious "abuse" at actual gyms, thick and durable enough to be able to withstand thousands of reps a day with complete ease and competence.
So much for our plans to sit at the desk to improve our posture! It inspired us to actually do some exercises such as sit-ups, leg lifts and downward dogs with our legs on the ball.
It comes in four colors (black, silver, pink and blue) and is available four sizes based on body height: 45cm, 55cm, 65cm and 75cm. Use it as a stability ball or fitness training such as yoga or Pilates, or as a desk chair to improve your posture.
It’s made to handle heavy loads up to 2000 pounds without popping. Its thick PVC casing is puncture-resistant and packed with non-toxic PVC material. Its PVC body has a matte surface with horizontal ribs all around it non-slip, even after some heavy sweating!
Design Quality: 4.5 Stars
This is a very well made exercise balls durable enough for the abuse and lots of reps in a gym setting. It earned our highest design quality rating of the bunch.
Value for the Price: 4 Stars
We think you get a lot of goodness from this ball: super durability, non-PVC casing, nonslip casing and more. It’s truly a heavyweight but lightweight. (Pun intended.)
No warranty listed.
- Professional grade exercise balance ball, Includes foot pump so you can start right away
- Can be used as a chair for students to improve focus and concentration, by forcing them to remain balanced while seated, helps them focus more in class, and be aware of what's going on around them
- Improves Posture, and helps with Core and Ab Strengthening, strengthening the legs, back, and core muscles
- Effective in building balance and coordination, stability, and pillar strength, Recommended for pregnant women because it strengthens the legs, back, and core muscles, and can aid in relaxation, comfort, and physical relief
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Lifetime Warranty, You are covered by HemingWeigh's lifetime no-hassle replacement policy, If you have any issues, simply contact us directly, and we will replace it for you!
Hemingway lifted a pen to write his famous novels. You will sit on a ball. This anti-burst fitness and stability ball comes in four cool colors: black, blue, purple and red.
It’s designed to help you build core strength and improve your balance and agility. It’s great as an alternative to a desk chair or as a therapeutic yoga ball for restore poses and legs-up relaxation, or as professional grade exercise equipment.
The cleverly named HemingWeigh exercise ball works on your whole body, from strengthening the leg, back and core muscles to assisting with focus and concentration. It’s great for students and for pregnant women seeking comfort and relief. It has a lifetime warranty with a no-hassle replacement policy.
If you have any issues, contact them directly, and they will replace the ball for you. Choose from five sizes for your height, starting at 4 ft. 8 in. (140 cm) and going up to over 6 ft. 5 in. (195 cm). This exercise ball also comes with a foot pump.
Design Quality: 4 Stars
This exercise ball does its intended job effectively and is durable. We wish we could find out the materials it's made from!
Value for the Price: 4 Stars
It’s a great value for the price, especially given the easy replacement policy.
Warranty: 5 Stars
Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed thanks to their lifetime warranty and no-hassle replacement policy.
- SIZES TO CHOOSE FROM 45cm 55cm 65cm 75cm 85cm pick the ideal height for your needs whether you are looking for workout equipment or a replacement for your desk chair. Not sure which is your ideal size? Make sure to check the size chart or contact us directly. Small Medium Large and XL available
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI-BURST RATING Thick material resistance of 2200 lbs of static weight. Can be used for Weight Training Yoga Therapy Pilates Fitness and for Pregnancy Labour & Birth. They are antiburst and very resistant
- BPA FREE (16P Free & 6P Free Certified) & LATEX FREE We use absolutely no harmful chemicals making sure our products are eco friendly and free of common allergens so you can use them anywhere: home office gym school and even the labor room. Non Toxic
- FREE FOOT PUMP INCLUDED so you can add air and inflate without the risk of bursting the ball. Using your own foot pump assures the ball is inflated to correct size and you can add extra air when you need the balls to be firm. Make sure to follow the instructions insert. Stopper Plug and Pump Accessories included.
- BEST NO-HASSLE FREE REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE covers a full year manufacturer warranty and the option to opt-in for a 2 year warranty for free. We got your back
This exercise ball has a great price and a great color --- aqua --- which made us want to play with it immediately. It also comes in less conspicuous charcoal and silver. These superficial considerations aside, there’s a lot to like about this product.
It can be used for fitness, yoga, Pilates, at the gym, for exercise while pregnant, labor and birth, as a desk chair and more. It comes with a foot pump, which is handy because ordering a separate pump is a hassle and costly.
It promises to offer total anti-burst stability. It has a "Professional Grade Heavy Duty Anti-Burst Rating" making it the toughest ball on the market, able to handle up to 2000 pounds of static weight. We shall see because we plan on using it a lot. But worry not: It comes with a "no-hassle," free replacement guarantee.
Here's an essential factor for people worried about chemicals and plastics: It’s phthalate-free and latex free. You can choose from four sizes: kids up to 8 years old; grade school kids; average adults; and adults taller than 6 feet.
Use it for strengthening your back and core and improving your balance. You can do this by using it as a desk chair or as part of your fitness or physical therapy regimen or workout.
It keeps your entire body, and all important muscle groups engaged, from your upper body and back to your abs and core, to your pelvic floor muscles. The latter aspect makes it a great choice for pregnancy or post-pregnancy recovery.
Design Quality: 4 Stars
It looks great, but more importantly, it’s a professional grade Exercise Stability Ball made from quality ingredients and able to withstand a LOT of weight. It exceeds the demands of the most discerning fitness and healthcare professionals.
Value for the Price: 4 Stars
Considering its durability and sturdiness, its price, the fact that you can get a free replacement, and that it comes with a free foot pump, we felt like it deserved 4 out of 5 stars. It would have received a 5 if it wasn’t for all the air leaking reports.
This brand has got your back. Their Best No-Hassle Free Replacement Guarantee means a 12-month manufacturer warranty and the choice of an opt-in for a two-year warranty for free.
Hopefully, you have learned all you need to know about what exercise balls are, what they can do for you, and how they differ from each other. So how do our four choices stack up? We are going to roll with what happen to be the two most trusted brands. Dynamax and Duraball have proven their experience and success in the market. Both deserve our highest rating of 4.5 Stars out of 5 Stars.
For full disclosure and in all fairness, we did not know that these two brands had a long history in the ball business. We truly just happened to like these two exercise balls best all around. Dynamax made one of the original medicine balls and ranks highly among professionals. TheraBand has also been around the physiotherapy block for over 40 years. They invented the original flat resistance bands and exercise system.
The Dynamax ball is puncture-resistant and its PVC body has a matte surface with horizontal ribs for a good grip. The TheraBand exercise ball doesn’t come with a pump but we appreciate that it offers enforced stability at the points of body contact for additional comfort.
As far as deflating issues and not holding air, this can be an issue with any ball. Maybe you received a faulty product. That’s where the warranty comes in. This should never be an issue but it is. Same with the smell. All manmade materials have a bit of a “plastic” scent.
Let us focus on the positives such as strengthening our core to keep our body going for as long as possible with fantastic physical quality of life. You will have a ball!