If you suffer from anxiety-induced insomnia, then you’ve probably heard that a weighted blanket could offer you some relief. Although they are a relatively new product, they are already popular among children and adults, and there are lots of success stories floating around.
These blankets are exactly what they sound like, heavier versions of cozy comforters that help you to release happiness hormones like serotonin and dopamine that make it easier to fall asleep at night.
Manufacturers make them heavier by adding beads made from glass or plastic, or other materials like metal chains around the edges. They’re also stuffed with extra filling like polyester fiber to make them feel soft and cuddly.
Early research suggests that these products might do more than just ease anxiety. In children and adults with mental health disorders, like autism or depression, there is evidence that heavy blankets improve their sleep quality and length of time they get to rest.
To get the benefits, you need to choose the right blanket for you. In this article, we’ll break down the five best blankets that will ease anxiety and help you get a good night’s rest. We will also give you tips on how to decide the right one for you in our helpful buyer's guide.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Although blankets with added weight are a relatively new invention, there are still dozens of options you can buy. We narrowed down your choices based on a variety of criteria including:
Our favorites include indulgent materials that will make you want to snuggle in, and come in a variety of weights and sizes to make it easy to find one that meets your needs.
Top 5 Best Weighted Blankets
We rounded up the best-rated, most-loved blankets in the market and ranked them based on ones that users love most. Our list includes options no matter what your budget and requirements, and have a product that’s right for you
The original weighted blanket, The Gravity Blanket, started as a Kickstarter campaign.
Now that it’s fully-funded, you can purchase it in three different weights: 15, 20, and 25-pounds.
It measures four by six feet, which makes it the perfect size for one user. The company recommends that couples don’t share the blanket as they may not only have different weight requirements but could also disrupt one another’s sleep when shifting around.
- Trouble sleeping? Gravity is a premium-grade weighted blanket that uses light weight on the body to improve sleep quality. The latest generation of Gravity's Original Blanket features internal upgrades while maintaining the blanket's signature look and feel.
- WEIGHTS: Available in 15, 20, and 25lb options; we recommend selecting the one that’s about 10% of your body weight. Do not simply choose the heaviest option as "more heavy" does not equal "more effective"! You want one that's closest to 10% of your own body weight.
- DIMENSIONS: Gravity is sized 72” x 48”, providing a grounding experience for ONE USER at a time. We designed it in this throw blanket size to allow the weight to be evenly distributed over the user and because each user requires a weight specific to their body weight.
- CONSTRUCTION: Exterior duvet cover is made of super soft micro-fleece. Interior weighted blanket is made of cotton and fine-grade glass beads, and is held in place inside the duvet cover by our new, upgraded zipper system. Gridded stitching on the weighted inner ensures the glass beads remain uniformly distributed during use.
- CARE: Duvet cover is machine washable; internal blanket is hand-wash only.
The product is super cozy and made in two parts. The inner layer is hand wash only, but the outer layer comes in a variety of colors and patterns and is machine washable. All the fabrics are breathable, which makes it a good choice for warmer sleepers.
Although it’s one of the most expensive on our list, retailing for $$$, it’s also one of the best-loved by users.
Blanquil blankets are only available in two weight options, 15 or 20 pounds, but they offer warming, cooling, and wool options to give you the exact material combination that makes you feel cozy and protected.
They measure approximately four feet by six feet and use plastic pellets to add weight in an evenly-distributed grid.
- Our deluxe ultra-soft micro plush cover is removable, machine washable and dryer friendly.
- The weighted inner blanket comes in 15 and 20 lb options and uses 77 independent baffles that keep the eco-friendly glass beads distributed evenly across your body. It is well tailored and can be used without the cover in warmer months
- High-strength, reinforced ties are found inside the duvet system creating 8 connection points to reduce shifting.
- Multiple color options to match any style preference or décor.
- Sized at 48” x 74” and perfectly balanced for a single user. For couples or large beds, a set of two is recommended
The blankets retail for between $$$ and $$$ depending on the style and material you choose, making them an excellent option for nearly every bedding budget.
Users love the seven different weight options and the luxurious minky feel of the Quility Premium Adult Weighted Blanket. It comes in options ranging from five to 25 pounds, and is suitable for both children and adults.
The cotton-flannel cover works well for a variety of sleepers in many different environments. It both absorbs heat and also boasts superior breathability, making it a good choice for both warm and cool sleepers.
The construction adds weight by using glass beads and has two additional layers of polyester padding to help the blanket maintain its shape and balance.
- 7-LAYERED PREMIUM BLANKET: Quility’s innovative 7-layered blanket is designed to offer supreme comfort. With the most advanced sewing technology and the highest-quality, durable materials to produce the ideal weighted blanket. The ultra-breathable, 100%-cotton outer layer is lined with non-glue polyester padding and two extra polyester layers that contain millions of premium micro glass beads. This structure provides optimal temperature control and guarantees that our blankets never leak beads.
- COMPLETE SET! PRE-ATTACHED MINKY COVER INCLUDED: Every Quility Weighted Blanket Set comes pre-attached and ready to use. The removable minky duvet cover is soft-to-the-touch, super-comfortable and accompanies every purchase! Use the cover for added warmth during the winter, and remove it to keep cool in the summer. To remove it, simply unzip the zipper and untie Key Product Features
- GREAT NIGHT’S SLEEP: Quility’s all-natural heavy durable blanket provides the warmth and comfort of a gentle hug. Sleep feeling comfortable throughout the night and wake up feeling renewed!
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT SIZE: For an individual user with a single, twin, or full-size bed, we recommend choosing a blanket that weighs around 10-12% of your body weight, (plus one pound). If the final weight falls equally between two blanket sizes, it’s best to go with the lighter option. Choosing the right size is crucial for enjoying the optimal benefits the Quility Weighted Blanket provides. For assistance choosing the right size for you, check out the helpful chart below!
The satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer is not unique, but the company is well-known for providing excellent service and making good on their no-questions-asked polity when required.
Starting at $$$, this is one of the more budget-friendly options on our list that doesn’t sacrifice even a bit of their quality.
If you’re searching for a larger option, the Premium Health Calmforter comes in a queen size blanket. It measures 60 by 80 inches and weighs in at 12 pounds. The company also recently released a 15-pound model if you want a slightly heavier option.
- INDUSTRY EXCLUSIVE EVENFLOW(tm) TECHNOLOGY for the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. Enjoy quiet, even pressure reminiscent of a full body hug thanks to the Calmforters’ ingenious CloudSoft Polyfill(tm) and Stardust Minibead(tm) 100% GLASS BEAD weighting system. NEW 15LB BLANKET NOW AVAILABLE, TYPE OR COPY AND PASTE THE FOLLOWING CODE IN THE AMAZON SEARCH BAR: B07C4XRVT2
- ULTRA-LUXURIOUS MINKY FABRIC COVER- Outer cover is silky soft on one side while the opposite side features our unique SensaCool Dot(tm) System that helps keeps users cool. Completely reversible. Unlike most weighted blankets with highly noticeable lumpy, square pocket stitching, the Calmforter features a completely uniform appearance since the entire weighting system is hidden inside the cover.
- 2 PART CONSTRUCTION FOR EASY WASHING AND LONG LIFE- The outer cover easily zips apart for fast, easy washing and quick drying. No need to wash the entire blanket like old-style 1 piece blankets that take forever to dry and deteriorate quickly as the weights are repeatedly washed. PRICE INCLUDES COVER! NOTE: Most blankets sold today by Chinese sellers do not include a cover.
- GENEROUS 60" x 80" DIMENSION. Don’t end up with an undersized blanket! Studies show that a 60” x 80” size is the ideal dimension to provide full-time, full-body benefits as you sleep. The XL dimension prevents the blanket from sliding off the body as you move in bed.
- DESIGNED IN THE USA by a team of Healthcare Professionals. As Chinese sellers flood the market we are proud to be Designed in the USA, Stocked in the USA and Serviced in the USA by our team of dedicated professionals located in Orlando, FL. The Original Calmforter- THE WORLDS FIRST AND STILL #1 PREMIUM WEIGHTED BLANKET.
The dual-sided duvet is unique and features one soft and minky side, and a second side with a polka dot texture which is perfect if you’re tactile and tend to fidget. It has glass bead construction, and the outer duvet layer comes in six different color combinations. Both the 12 and 15-pound models retail for under $$$.
With four different weight options ranging from five to 25 pounds, and four different color combinations, this option from Harkla has something for everyone. The blanket size is determined by its weight. For example, the 25-pound model measures 65 by 80 inches, or about five and a half by six and a half feet.
- HELP YOUR CHILD GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP: Are you struggling to get your child to relax or fall asleep? Harkla has designed the best weighted blanket for kids to help your child feel calm and get restful, natural sleep. New & improved with stitching all the way through provides an even weighted feel with this cool weighted blanket.
- A SENSE OF CALM FOR YOUR CHILD: Weighted blankets for children help naturally calm the body. The soft minky fabric is also a great input. We’ve even added dots on top so the kids weighted blanket provides extra input. Our weighted kids blanket is great situations like the classroom or car rides.
- EASY TO WASH & DRY: With our 2-piece duvet style removable cover, our cooling weighted blanket for kids makes it easy to remove the top layer to wash & dry at home. Weighted blanket soft through washing.
- PICK THE RIGHT SIZE FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE: Our weighted blanket is designed to be 10% of the user’s body weight. Reference the sizing chart in the images to find the perfect size weighted blanket for children.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: We meticulously designed our blanket and think we have created the best cooling weighted blanket on the market. But we know it's not for everyone. That's why unless you are 100% satisfied with your weighted blanket, we aren’t satisfied either. As a USA company, we're ready and able to help!
Uniquely, this product comes with a lifetime guarantee on their glass bead blanket.
The removable duvet cover is machine washable and stays soft no matter how many times it goes through the laundry.
Pricing starts at around $$$ and goes up to $$$ depending on how heavy you want your blanket.
Now that you’ve narrowed down your options to include the best ones to soothe anxiety and foster a good night’s sleep, it’s time to pick out the right weighted blanket for you.
Here are buying tips to determine the right weight and size, and a few additional factors to consider before you make your choice.
What Weight Should I Use?
Users who have a blanket that’s between seven and 12 percent of their total body weight report the best results. Studies most often focus on options that come in at right around ten percent because they promote feelings of relaxation without feeling too confining.
Standard quilts, duvets, and comforters usually weigh in at under five pounds. A 200-pound person should look for a weighted product that totals around 20 pounds to reap the benefits.
Benefits Of Using Weighted Blankets
Not only do heavy blankets help you sleep deeper, but they may also relieve stress and help you manage anxiety. Doctors who are preparing patients for nerve-wracking exams, like dentists or cancer specialists, often recommend them to help ease tension and make the experience less daunting.
Medical Disorders That Might Benefit From Weighted Blankets
Early research shows promising results with using weighted blankets as a treatment tool for certain medical disorders and conditions.
For example, children with Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), may see a rise in their serotonin
and melatonin levels which can make it easier for them to fall asleep when they experience anxiety at night.
Another condition, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), causes restlessness that makes it difficult for children and adults with symptoms to fall asleep. These blankets may not only make that easier, but they could also help them to focus by grounding them throughout the day.
Adults who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) also have lower levels of serotonin
levels. Heavy blankets could provide relief from some of the symptoms like nervousness, restlessness, and anxiety.
Additional studies examine the potential benefits for people with a variety of other medical
conditions, like depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, restless leg syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, and anxiety disorders.
Although further research is needed to measure the quantitative results, the initial findings are all positive and suggest that a blanket that weighs around 10 percent of your total body weight is a worthwhile investment.
Questions To Ask Before You Buy
Before you make your final decision, here are a few additional questions to ask to help narrow down your options from the best of the best.
The answers to these questions will help you determine what size, weight, and the material
that is best for you.
For example, if you are someone who sleeps hot or experiences hot flashes, you’ll want to look
for a cooling material. If you’re claustrophobic, then you might experience more anxiety when trapped under the heavy cover.
Once you answer these questions, you’ll be able to choose the right product that fits your needs and budget to help you sleep soundly tonight.
Last update on 2021-02-23 at 14:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API